Sunday, February 21, 2010

Grain Free, Sugar Free - Getting Started


I've been spending the last week learning more about what you can eat on a grain free and sugar free diet. I am hoping that being grain free and sugar free will help keep my system balanced while I am on antibiotics. I am also planning to eat plenty of plain yogurt, take a probiotic supplement, and trace minerals.

This is going to be a big challenge for me. For those that know me, I love to make my own bread (yes those are my own homemade rolls pictured above), and grains make a big part of my diet. I think giving up sugar will be fairly easy for me, but grains! Luckily this is just a 3 week experiment.

So far, I have found the "Everyday Grain-Free Gourmet: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner" by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass to be a great reasource! I am also perusing "Going Against the Grain" by Melissa Diane Smith and have "The no-grain diet : conquer carbohydrate addiction and stay slim for life" by Joseph Mercola on the way. Love the IMCPL public library! All 3 books are a part of their collection.

Day 1 Menu
Breakfast: hard-boiled egg, plain yogurt with plain berries, orange juice, tea
Snack: apple with natural no-sugar peanut butter
Lunch: spaghetti squash with fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic and parmesan cheese
Snack: celery & hummus
Dinner: shepherd's pie made with butternut squash (instead of potatoes)
Snack: 100% dark chocolate, tea

I was a little worried about finding enough food to eat to completely substitute all of the grain that I eat on a normal day, but I think this might be more than I can eat in a day. However, if I find that I am still hungry, I plan to have some nuts and dried fruit (without added sugar) on hand.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment